Re: no permission to execute

2001-12-05 01:39:48
At 21:06 2001-12-04 -0500, Matt Eaton wrote:
These are the permissions of my sendmail executable
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root       361600 Sep 29  2000 /usr/local/etc/sendmail

I noticed that the sendmail configuration designates procmail as the MTA

Bzzt.  Mlocal is "LDA" as in LOCAL delivery agent.  The MTA is *SENDMAIL*.

Procmmail as LDA is a very normal configuration.

> | :0c
> | ! pmail(_at_)divinehawk(_dot_)com
> |
> | But it fails with this error:
> |
> | procmail: No permission to execute "/usr/lib/sendmail"
> | procmail: Error while writing to "/usr/lib/sendmail"

> | I have tried piping (|) to a command as well, and no matter what command i
> | pipe to, i always get "No permssion to execute <command>".

What is your shell set to (in .procmailrc)?

LOG="$SHELL
"

> | I am not using smrsh (sendmail is using /bin/sh)

smrsh is an issue if you're invoking procmail via .forward because it isn't the LDA. Here, procmail IS the LDA (if what you posted from your sendmail.cf is valid), so smrsh isn't the "sendmail shell", and for that matter, neither is /bin/sh (which is the Mprog, which isn't the LDA).

> | It is an older version of procmail (v2.92pre5),

Geez. Upgrade. Now. That's like eight years old. Is the rest of your system running equally ancient versions of software?

Another thing to try: extract the rule into a sandbox config and MANUALLY run procmail against it. Does it run successfully when invoked as a user instead of as LDA?

> That's only the problem if the the sendmail binary is restricted so only
> root has execute permission... which is what it sounds like. Has this

'man execve' note errors for 'EPERM'