Re: no permission to execute

2001-12-05 09:06:02

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=37DD7E7A.A5B46517%40uwaterloo.ca&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DProcmail%2B%2Bsh%26hl%3Den%26rnum%3D2%26selm%3D37DD7E7A.A5B46517%2540uwaterloo.ca

All messages from thread
Message 1 in thread
From: Steve Hanov (smhanov(_at_)uwaterloo(_dot_)ca)
Subject: sh, .forward, and procmail
Newsgroups: comp.mail.misc
View this article only
Date: 1999/09/13

I just installed Red Hat Linux 6.0 over Red Hat 5.1 (after it sat for a
year). I am on a standalone computer with a modem connection to the
internet. I use fetchmail to retrieve my mail.

I'm trying to set up mail filtering using procmail. I've read the mail
filtering FAQ by Nancy, but nothing is working. The problem seems to be
my ".forward" file. I've tried several variations on the line:

"|exec /usr/bin/procmail #smhanov"

but my test mails bounces to root.

The bounced message have the subject, "Postmaster notify: Service
Unavailable" and, amoung other things, say:

sh: exec not available for sendmail programs.
544 "|exec /usr/bin/procmail #smhanov" ... Service unavailable.

I am new to Linux/Unix. What does this mean, and how do I fix it?

Message 2 in thread

Steve Hanov <smhanov(_at_)uwaterloo(_dot_)ca> writes:

Never mind. After some time with www.dejanews.com, I found the answer:
> "change the Mprog line at the end of sendmail.cf to be /bin/sh instead of
/usr/sbin/smrsh" ...
> I'm trying to set up mail filtering using procmail. I've read the mail
> filtering FAQ by Nancy, but nothing is working. The problem seems to be
> my ".forward" file. I've tried several variations on the line:
>
> "|exec /usr/bin/procmail #smhanov"
>
> but my test mails bounces to root.
>
> The bounced message have the subject, "Postmaster notify: Service
> Unavailable" and, amoung other things, say:
>
> sh: exec not available for sendmail programs.
> 544 "|exec /usr/bin/procmail #smhanov" ... Service unavailable.

Ick!  The prog mailer specifies smrsh instead of sh for a reason.
Rather than work around it, why don't you work with it?  Put your
sendmail.cf back the way it was, place a link to the procmail binary in
/etc/smrsh, and restart sendmail.

Philip Guenther

guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu             UNIX Systems and Network Administrator
Gustavus Adolphus College       St. Peter, MN 56082-1498
Source code never lies: it just misleads (Programming by Purloined Letter?)

On 2001.12.05 02:06:55 -0500 Don Hammond wrote:
On  5 Dec, Ruben Safir wrote:
| I have a similar problem
|
| I'm getting a bouce back message from sendmail sayign it can't call sh.
|
| It must be a rule.  This is a rather normal redhat 6.4 distro release.

That sounds like it could be sendmail configured to use smrsh, without
sh enabled in the smrsh config. I don't know any more about it, but man
smrsh might have some clues.

--
Reply to list please, or append "6" to "procmail" in address if you must. Spammers' unrelenting address harvesting forces me to this...reluctantly.

--

Brooklyn Linux Solutions
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
http://www.brooklynonline.com - For the love of Brooklyn