Re: no permission to execute

2001-12-06 22:19:50
I noticed that the sendmail configuration designates procmail as the MTA

Bzzt.  Mlocal is "LDA" as in LOCAL delivery agent.  The MTA is *SENDMAIL*.

Procmmail as LDA is a very normal configuration.
Ah, that makes more sense to me now.

| I have tried piping (|) to a command as well, and no matter what
command i
| pipe to, i always get "No permssion to execute <command>".

What is your shell set to (in .procmailrc)?

I've tried setting it both to /bin/sh and /bin/bash

smrsh is an issue if you're invoking procmail via .forward because it isn't
the LDA.  Here, procmail IS the LDA (if what you posted from your
sendmail.cf is valid), so smrsh isn't the "sendmail shell", and for that
matter, neither is /bin/sh (which is the Mprog, which isn't the LDA).
Yes, the sendmail.cf portion I posted was the running configuration.

| It is an older version of procmail (v2.92pre5),

Geez.  Upgrade.  Now.  That's like eight years old.  Is the rest of your
system running equally ancient versions of software?

The box I was trying to set this up on was my schools mail server
(mail.virginia.edu), which is running very 'aged' software. I would
suggest it to them to upgrade, but they wouldn't exactly care.

The solution that I've come up with is that I just don't pipe or forward
mail with this version of procmail. I set up a .forward file to forward to
my own machine which I have the same rules working successfully. (and a
version of procmail compiled in the 21th century).

Thanks for all the help.

Matt