Re: Cannot get recipes to work properly

2002-02-10 14:27:34
[been meaning to fix the subject]

I asked Rich,

Are you saying that you get yet other spam, for which there are no logfile
entries at all, and it goes to your inbox?

He confirmed,

|   Yes, this is what I am saying.

OK.

Try defining the logfile at the very start of your main rcfile and set
LOGABSTRACT=all.

|   The first two lines of ~/.procmailrc are
| VERBOSE=yes
| LOGABSTRACT=all

All right so far; now, where does LOGFILE=/path/to/the/logfile appear?
VERBOSE and LOGABSTRACT won't do anything until there's a logfile.  Right
now I see two possibilities: some code in your ~/.procmailrc prior the the
assignment of LOGFILE is saving those pieces of spam to $DEFAULT, or some
code is allowing them to escape the INCLUDERC, or procmail is not getting
invoked on them.

Here's a question: do you ever get legitimate mail that procmail should file
into a specific folder other than your inbox, but which ends up in your
inbox with no procmail logfile entry?  That would indicate that sometimes
your incoming messages elude procmail, and we should investigate how you are
calling procmail (an LDA definition in your MTA's configuration file, a pipe
in ~/.forward, or whatever).  If that doesn't happen, then the culprit is
more likely your rcfile code.