Re: Cannot get recipes to work properly

2002-02-10 15:19:12
On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, David W. Tamkin wrote:

All right so far; now, where does LOGFILE=/path/to/the/logfile appear?
VERBOSE and LOGABSTRACT won't do anything until there's a logfile.  Right
now I see two possibilities: some code in your ~/.procmailrc prior the the
assignment of LOGFILE is saving those pieces of spam to $DEFAULT, or some
code is allowing them to escape the INCLUDERC, or procmail is not getting
invoked on them.

David,

  Here's the head of ~/.procmailrc:

# set to yes when debugging
VERBOSE=yes

# Remove ## when debugging; set to no if you want minimal logging; to all
for max.
LOGABSTRACT=all

MAILDIR=$HOME/mail

# Directory for storing procmail-related files
PMDIR=$HOME/procmail

# Put ## before LOGFILE if no logging is wanted (not recommended)
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/recipes.rc

  Should the two lines above be switched in sequence?

Here's a question: do you ever get legitimate mail that procmail should file
into a specific folder other than your inbox, but which ends up in your
inbox with no procmail logfile entry?  That would indicate that sometimes
your incoming messages elude procmail, and we should investigate how you are
calling procmail (an LDA definition in your MTA's configuration file, a pipe
in ~/.forward, or whatever).  If that doesn't happen, then the culprit is
more likely your rcfile code.

  On occasion, I get mail that should be in my inbox showing up in the SPAM
folder.

  And, I just changed the yahoo.com recipe to dump mail to SPAM rather than
/dev/null.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) |
rshepard(_at_)appl-ecosys(_dot_)com
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com