Re: spamrc.txt file not working

2002-02-11 14:58:11
At 15:22 2002-02-11 -0500, Don Hammond wrote:
| http://ceti.pl/~kravietz/spamrc/, and I am not sure why but it works

My real intent is to point out you probably need to be careful with
spamrc.txt. It looks like the  author is using extended regular
expression syntax that's not supported by procmail. Specifically, it
looks like he's using {m,n} quantifiers and the perl-ish \d to denote
numerics. There may be others.

You noticed? I gave it a quick glance some time back, and I noted that those expressions were used in scoring recipes, where their failure wouldn't inherently lead to a failure of the recipe overall (though obviously, that individual rule wouldn't work), thus the author is probably totally unaware that the syntax is wrong. Though how one can write something to match a certain spam and not at least try pumping that spam back into the rule to see it actually match is a weird prospect...

Then, at 15:14 2002-02-11 -0600, Tom Warfield asked:

  Do you have any suggestions on something else that would work better
with procmail?

Basically im just trying to stop my end users from getting spammed, so
with that in mind any recommendations?

RBLs have traditionally been very effective - the problem is that all the useful ones are now pay-for (and pretty steep, as least for small shops). Most of the free RBLs are very likely to toss a fair chunk of perfectly valid email.

When filtering OTHER PEOPLE'S mail, it is generally best to err on the side of caution - filters which get false positives result in lost email - and enough of that (or just one important one), and you'll lose customers.

Email is sacred.  People expect it to be reliable.

A popular alternative to tossing the suspect mail is to have your filters *ADD* a header which the end-users can elect to use in their email software (or with procmail, if they're using shell mail) to filter out the spam based on your rulesets. That way, they can elect to participate or not - if they feel your spam filters are too broad, they simply don't toss messages with the identification header (or choose to filter certain messages before doing so - such as those from certain clients). Users can still benefit from your spam rules, without themseleves having to maintain (and update, and revise, etc) any complex rules - all they do is add one rule to re-file the messages identified as suspect.