RE: spamrc.txt file not working

2002-02-12 09:40:40
At 12:17 2002-02-12 +0000, Edward Wildgoose did say:
I'm curious to know how you rate the free RBL's?

Too many of them are either "gosh, we tested this server and it's an open relay" (ordb) or "someone sent us a report that there was a bad guy and this was his mail server, so without any validation, we stuffed it into the db" (dorkslayers).

Granted, the first approach has it's merits, but it is entirely too likely to result in lost mail - and if some backbone provider's network gets scanned and blacklisted, they'll block routing for the subnet (Alter.net did this with thr original Orbs - which meant that hosts that had to pass through alter.net to get to orbs to do a lookup couldn't, AND that orbs couldn't scan hosts if it had to pass through alter.net - which meant that those host, even if spammers, would never appear in the orbs db). After MAPS took their RBLs and made them pay-for (a token fee would have been one thing, but geezus - you've got to pay for EACH db, and for EACH server accessing their db (which could be circumvented with some DNS proxying), most of the consistently-good dbs were suddenly unavailable.

If I was starting up a small e-mail service for 50 or so users and wanted to err on the cautious side, ie some junk may slip past, but we emphasise that we rarely reject real mail (and I am assuming that users are going to need too much training to "opt-in", hence this will be automatic unless they request to be "opted out"), then what would you advise me to use?

If you want to let people opt out, then the RBL checking will need to be done from a global procmailrc, not within the MTA itself (well, I'm sure with some wizardry, one could manage to do selective RBL-ing: access.txt would be one way for uniquely hosted domains, but I don't think it'd work for individuals -- but it will still require the admin to make changes based on the whim of a user).

Also, presumably dumb question, but these RBL's will presumably have no effect on any mail arriving via fetchmail because the RBL

Correct. Are you saying that your mail is actually transferred using fetchmail (which of course, has nothing to do with procmail, just in case someone reads this in the archives).

One of my favourite RBLs was the DUL - Dialup User List - (a MAPS db) it simply contained known dialup lines for a lot of ISPs - users who should be using their ISP mailserver to deliver mail to you, not their dialup. That alone was capable of nixing a lot of spew.