Re: Stupid question about :0:

2002-05-09 12:38:21
On Thu, 9 May 2002, Oliver Fuchs wrote:

OF> On Thu, 09 May 2002, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
OF>
OF> > Hmm, looks like an extra colon.  I'd try 'man procmailrc', and searching
OF> > on, of all things ':'.
OF> > If after resorting to reading the _documentation_, it remains shrouded in
OF> > mystery, do let us know.
OF>
OF> Hi,
OF> o.k. I know what the docu says about this double:
OF>     'The trailing ":" in the recipe start line ":0:" tells
OF>     procmail to use temporary file locking to avoid writing
OF>     simultaneously arriving potential email on top of each
OF>     other at your "${DEFAULT}" mailbox.'
OF> ... but I don't know what it means ... but for me both are working (:0
OF> and :0:)

When you download or receive mail, a second procmail may start for a
second message before the first instance of procmail has finished.  Thus
there is potential for two messages to be written to your mailbox at the
same time.

To avoid this, when procmail comes across a :0: receipe, it will pause and
will not attempt to write to a mailbox if another procmail is writing to
it.

Alan