Re: Kind of annoying.

2002-06-14 17:57:23
At 8:03 PM -0400 6/14/02, Matt Wills is rumored to have typed:

Is this list here to help people or for the elite and experienced to
show off to one another? Maybe there should be more than one level of
Procmail list: one for those willing to help and one for those not.

   What it sounds like you _really_ want is one list where people can get
help, and another list where newbies can make nice with each other and not
learn anything.

   We're all pretty busy people (with a possible exception who seems to have
scads of time to post responses to _everything_ whether helpful or not). If
we take the time to answer someone's question at no renumeration, it's unfair
to also ask us to act like paid help. If you're going to post a question, and
are willing to actually pay attention and do some homework first, there are
_amazing_ people on these lists who will bust their butts helping you work
through a problem. And I can say that with absolute authority, having been on
BOTH sides of the equation; there are lots of folks (particularly on the
SmartList list) who can testify to the amount of time I'm willing to spend
_teaching_ (not doing) if someone is motivated enough to learn. And _I_ can
testify that some folks here (you know who you are) have done the same for me
and led me patiently by the hand when I got befuddled by some aspect of
procmail or SmartLIst.

   But if, on the other hand, you want someone to coddle you and do things
_for_ you expecting to do nothing but ask a question already answered in the
man file, please feel free to hire an expert and _pay_ him to pat you on the
head and tell you everything is ok. Most of us don't have the time to donate
to it.

         Charlie (who will not post publically on this thread again;
                   it's moving _way_ off-topic, and so is a waste of
                   list bandwidth)