RE: Kind of annoying.

2002-06-13 10:13:31
Udi,

        Your extended answer is most fantastic; I commend you on taking the
time
to further explain what you had sent previously. I must also thank you
for the additional information as to which documentation that I should
look into first.

        You are a credit to this mailing list.

        I have to add that my eventual goal is to use Procmail to process and
use a virus-scanner as well. I just need to know how to get all of that
done before taking the leap.

Regards,
Robert Adkins
IT Manager/Buyer
IMPEL Industries, Inc.

 -----Original Message-----
From: Udi Mottelo [mailto:uuddii(_at_)eng(_dot_)tau(_dot_)ac(_dot_)il]
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 7:46 PM
To: Robert Adkins
Cc: procmail-users(_at_)procmail(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Kind of annoying.

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Robert Adkins wrote:

      I am also considering staying away from Procmail as the help
provided
from this list is most often in the form above; cryptic commands listed
with no explanation as to why and how they do the things that they do.
What kind of help and assistance is that?

        I'll explain the answer that I sent you:

1) :0 fhw
2) * ^TOprocmail
3) | sed 's/^Subject: /& [procmail]/'

        1)  :0         start recipe (rule)
              f        We are going to change the the message
               h       The part we are going to change is the header
                w      Take the consequences (wait, is every thing done?
OK?)

        2)  *          If you find the follow string then do the changes
             ^TO       The string we are looking for is one of the
addressed
              procmail The string we are looking for

        3) |           Use the following command to change the header
            sed ....   Change the string "Subject" to be "Subject
[procmail]"

      Enough of that though, I will be getting into reading over the
man
pages, *rc files and other pieces of Procmail soon, hopefully it will
all
begin to make some sense.

        I suggest you to scan and browse the man pages NOT read (and skip the
        procmailsc man page).  Read the egrep man page then go to NMTG web
        site: http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/       After this
        steps back to the procmailex man page.  After some experiments and FAQ
        reading you can read the man pages (including the procmailsc (:-))

        Since then we have used procmail to run antivirus on the unix mail
        server we saved a lot of money/time and the users breathe a sigh of
        relief.

Bye,
 Udi