RE: Kind of annoying.

2002-06-13 12:31:34
All ppl who provide help on this list do this on their own time, and
they
do it for free.

        And this is what you don't know about me:

        Freely ran a UNIX study group, at a previous employer's North American

Headquarters, on my own time every week for more then 6 months, answering
endless questions that were asked over and over. Patience is a virtue, if
you don't have that, then you shouldn't be answering mailing list
questions.

        Soon will be "reactivating" the Linux Users Group that I founded, now
that I have bought my own home and have adequate space to host such
meetings. Again, freely offered, open to all and set to assist in any way
required.

        I have freely given many hours of myself to assisting others in
achieving things that they were having trouble achieving on their own.
Even if it meant answering the same question over and over. For each time
someone new asks a question that has been asked before, it is a new
question to them. Berating them for having not read every FAQ, cryptic
note, man page, archive is very unproductive. Berating a newbie is just
plain rude and in my book inexcusable no matter how long you have
answered the same questions or how much you "know".

If you're on a technical mailing list like this for years and years,
you'll realise at some stage that 90% of the questions asked are
covered
in the documentation, web pages, or the list archives.

        Exactly true, I couldn't agree with you more. However, sometimes the
documentation that someone of Mr. Straw's technical skill is simply
incomprehensible to people new to the technical mailing list.

In brief, I find your attack extreme, unfair, and inappropriate.

        Which is exactly how I found Mr. Straw's attack on my question. I
simply
called him on it. Is there anything wrong with calling someone on their
rudeness or is it simply better to allow them to continually pee in your
morning cereal?

Regards,
Robert Adkins
IT Manager/Buyer