Re: "TO_" expression incomplete [possible defect in procmail]

2002-10-09 01:47:23

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 12:11:05AM +0000, MindFuq wrote:

I get mail such that my address ends up in an Envelope-To field, and
can't capture the message using a TO_ expression because it only looks
for X-Envelope-To.  I'm not sure what to make of the "X-", but it
looks like I'll have to write a specific condition for Envelope-To in
cases where I need it, or perhaps, for every recipe.

Strictly speaking, neither Envelope-To nor X-Envelope-To are required
headers.  The only headers that really *need* to be supported are ones
specified in RFC2822.  Anything else (like support for X-Envelope-To) is
merely adherance to accepted non-standard practices.

The "X-" prefix was adopted by many software packages that wanted to
re-write legitimate headers but hold on to the old data somewhere.
Both Envelope-To and X-Envelope-To would be considered "optional" fields
according to the standard.

The reason I ask is that this seems like an oversight on the part of
the developers, and TO_ should really include a (X-)?Envelope
expression.

If use of Envelope-To (without the "X-") is widespread, it would likely
be a good idea to support it in procmail.  This is the first I've heard
of it though, so if you could tell us what's actually *creating* these
headers, that would be nifty.

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>