Re: Simplifying Mime messages

2002-11-23 04:36:19
On 23 Nov 2002 dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com (dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com) wrote:
Don Hammond <procmail(_at_)tradersdata(_dot_)com> wrote:

I don't want to speak for Dallman, but the recipe is not searching the
body. The thinking on the filter seems to be, if it's plain text or html
AND base 64 encoded, then it's spam. There would be no reason, I guess,
to encode plain text other than to circumvent content filters. Who does
that?  The bottom feeders.

Exactly.  Thanks, Don.

I don't think it's just the bottom feeders that do this. If a
message contains a high ascii character, such as the GB Pound
symbol, and the mail client or the mail transport only does 7bit,
then the message will be MIME encoded, either with
quoted-printable or base-64. I think that Mulberry and Cyrus IMAP
server always convert to 7bit and thus always encode messages
with 8bit characters (and this is one of the few things I don't
like about these products). I think there are other clients and
servers that do this too.

 -Nancy

--
       PROCMAIL  <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/>