Re: Trapping SPAM on Mail Lists

2003-07-04 10:14:27
At 10:44 AM 7.4.2003 -0400, Lee Hoffner wrote:
Newbie disclaimer still applies:

I don't use spamassassin or spamd (I want to learn "just Procmail" first),
nor
have I attempted any recipes which measure a message's size. So, I can't
help
with question 1.

You are right, though, in your assessment that recipes run in order from top
to bottom. No other recipes are run after any recipe encounters a "delivery
situation". What I (newbie!) notice about your recipes is you don't use a
space after
:0
so that all of your colon lines follow a format of :0: or :0fw.  Any
examples
I've seen have a space:
:0 :
or
:0 fw

I don't know if that makes a difference to Procmail, but it may be something
to watch out for.

Lee: All docs I have read have no space. For example here is a snippet from
the Procmail Quick Start by Nancy McGough at ii.com. She disects the recipe
nicely.

Anatomy of a Recipe
Procmail recipes look something like this

:0 flags: LockfileName
.* condition1-PMRE (PMRE = Procmail regular expression)
* condition2-PMRE
one action item

where flags, the second colon (:), LockfileName, and the condition lines
are optional. So a minimal Procmail recipe looks like this:

:0
one action item

which means perform action item on every message that is passed to this
recipe and don't do any mailbox locking (that's what the missing second
colon means).

A recipe that uses the default lock file and no flags looks like this:

:0:
* condition1-PMRE
* condition2-PMRE
one action item

In this case, the header only is passed to the conditions and if both
condition1-PMRE AND condition2-PMRE are satisfied, the whole message ?
header and body ? are passed to the action item.

But, Lee, if the extra space works, guess both are OK.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

Sage American