Re: problem with receipt

2003-07-07 08:16:00
PSE-L:  At 14:04 2003-07-03 -0400, Birl did say:
PSE-L:
PSE-L:  >I did before sending this out.  I was bored and was 'tail -f'ing it for
PSE-L:  >about 2 hours.  Nothing was appeneding.
PSE-L:
PSE-L:  I'm sure that you've run in within a controlled sandbox
PSE-L:  configuration, which beats the heck out of trying to test a recipe
PSE-L:  or and diagnose a problem in your live mailstream.  It also allows
PSE-L:  you to trim the recipe down to a barebones implementation which
PSE-L:  reproduces the problem, and avoids a lot of extraneous crap in the
PSE-L:  (VERBOSE) logfile which doesn't pertain to the recipe at hand.

Nope.  No sandbox.  I perfer to play with fire.  Honestly.

PSE-L:  >creelan:  >     [snip other receipes that have been tested and work
correctly]
PSE-L:  >creelan:  >
PSE-L:  >creelan:  >         #:0:
PSE-L:  >creelan:  >         #* ^From: \/+ Moderator
PSE-L:  >creelan:  >         #$MATCH
PSE-L:  >creelan:
PSE-L:  >creelan:  Is this normally commented out?
PSE-L:  >
PSE-L:  >Nope.  I just cut and pasted it from my rc file.  Didnt want to
uncomment
PSE-L:  >it in the email so that one could locate easier.
PSE-L:
PSE-L:  Well, uh, that doesn't make for a particularly easy diagnostic
PSE-L:  session for the rest of us -- the more thing you change about the
PSE-L:  recipe from the configuration which has a problem to the
PSE-L:  configuration you actually post, the more likely something is to
PSE-L:  be tweaked accidentally, changing the meaning of things.  Or in
PSE-L:  this case, giving people the impression that the commented out
PSE-L:  block ISN'T of interest BECAUSE it is commented out.

Point noted.  But it is why I mentioned in the original post that troubled
was with the code I commented out.

PSE-L:  As I believe someone has already pointed out, that regexp is bad.
PSE-L:  Also, perhaps not yet pointed out to you, but the match is
PSE-L:  everything from the beginning of the from line (after that first
PSE-L:  explicit space), out to the end of the word "Moderator".  One
PSE-L:  would hope that you're

.... ?  You stopped mid-sentence I believe.

PSE-L:  The following might net you something more resembling what you're
PSE-L:  looking for.  The first condition line defines the expectation
PSE-L:  that the word Moderator is in the line, but the MATCH line takes
PSE-L:  just the first token terminated by a space.
PSE-L:
PSE-L:  :0:
PSE-L:  * ^From:[       ]*.+ Moderator
PSE-L:  * ^From:[       ]*\/[^ ]+
PSE-L:  $MATCH
PSE-L:
PSE-L:
PSE-L:  From: hoser-list Moderator
PSE-L:
PSE-L:  should result in $MATCH="hoser-list"

Interesting.  I think it may come in handy.

Thanks.