Re: how to match Bcc?

2003-11-07 18:22:23
At 23:10 2003-11-07 +0000, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
Surely you want to deal with email from lists before assuming Bcc:ed.

Well, in fact, you're BCC'd when delivered to from a list.

At 21:26 2003-11-07 -0100, Klaus Johannes Rusch did say:
If your mail server adds Delivered-To or X-Envelope-To or some other
recipient specific header (such as qmail), you can use that information,

This method cannot generally be relied upon when there are multiple recipients of the same SMTP message transaction. Different MTAs may handle it differently, but don't rely on this always working.

otherwise you cannot determine which address an email was actually sent
to, and whether you were included in the BCC list, or a recipient on a
mailing list specified in the To, CC or BCC field.

Since the "BCC Field" will have been completely stripped from the message by the sending server (nee, or external mail client) during initial submission, even your own server doesn't know if someone sent a message with you merely listed as a recipient, or with your address disclosed in the now-removed Bcc: field.