Re: how to match Bcc?

2003-11-10 11:29:31
At 17:29 2003-11-10 +0100, Zbynek Houska wrote:
My aim was to keep mail from (for me important) newsletter mailers
before procmail does spam detection. But, if I look at header there is
no sign of Bcc at all.
One little question: what about spam which isn't apparently Sent-to or Cc-ed
to me? Is that Bcc mail?

I suggest you read the pertinent mail RFCs. Pretty much by definition, if your address doesn't appear In the To: or Cc:, you've been Bcc'd. There is *NO* way for you to determine if the sender addressed you with a Bcc: line in their email clinet, or if they tossed your email address on a large list of addresses on the commandline to the MTA, or if they submitted the message via SMTP and provided a long list of RCPT To:'s (which, not correlating to an address in the To: or Cc: headers, means they're being Bcc'd). Good MTAs *REMOVE* the Bcc: line from an email message before sending the message along - I mean, what the hell good would it be if the MTA disclosed all the addresses WHICH AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE DISCLOSED? If you want to disclose addresses, you use Cc:...

If you want to take newsletters out before checking for spam, them put in filters for your newsletters to be invoked before your spam filter.