Re: how to match Bcc?

2003-11-10 14:09:38
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Birl wrote:

B> As it was written on Nov 7, thus Professional Software Engineering typed:
B>
B> PSE-L:  At 23:10 2003-11-07 +0000, Trevor Jenkins wrote:
B> PSE-L:  >Surely you want to deal with email from lists before assuming
Bcc:ed.
B> PSE-L:
B> PSE-L:  Well, in fact, you're BCC'd when delivered to from a list.
B>
B>
B>
B> Does that hold true if that "list" is actually an email alias?
B> Then the headers may lack 'Delivered-To' or 'X-Envelope-To' information
B> (from the examples Ive looked at).

Put the headers out of your mind. Just regard your email address being in
a to: or cc: field merely as a courtesy.  If your address is not in one of
those fields, then the email has been sent to you using a mechanism that
you can considered to be called "blind carbon copy".

You will not see a bcc: field in incoming messages.  It is there in your
mail editor for outgoing messages merely as an easy method of passing the
destination address to the mail sending software whilst keeping it out of
the mail headers.

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list.  Please
  address personal email to alan+1@ as lists@ is not read. A
  password autoresponder may be invoked if this email is very old. )