Re: Can an rc file be bypassed?

2004-03-17 05:54:05
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:27:58PM +1300, Roland Hill wrote:

The users .procmailrc delivers to folders, or forwards (as below) etc.

Because this is my home network (wife kids, general use etc) I have all
spam forwarded to me for vetting. The forwarding occurs at the individuals
.procmailrc file.

The forwarded message however passes back through the global procmailrc
file, and, in short, gets passed back through SA.

QU: Is there a way for SA tagged messages to either bypass the global
procmailrc file, or at least get handed to the users .procmailrc prior to
the global spam.rc file? The objective being to avoid the double pass?

Okay, first of all, you could solve this with a condition in your
/etc/procmailrc
looking for X-Loop, which you added (didn't you?!) when you forwarded the
mail in the user's .procmailrc.

    :0
    * $ ^X-Loop:(.*\<)?$\LOGNAME(_at_)ourdomain[(_dot_)]dom$
    { SWITCHRC }

But really, you shouldn't be sending messages that made it past your
/etc/procmailrc and to a user's .procmailrc on the system back through
sendmail at the top of the queue at your server, unless you have a
very well-thought-through reason for doing so.

Why are the forwards upon spamishness happening only at the level of the
individual user's .procmailrc rather than in the /etc/procmailrc?  If
you did it in the /etc/procmailrc before DROPPRIVS, you could simply
append the mail to the desired spool:

    :0 c:
    * conditions say append to postmaster's spool
    /var/spool/mail/postmaster

or something.

--
dman