Re: Can an rc file be bypassed?

2004-03-18 05:33:01
Roland Hill wrote:

[...]

procmail: Error while writing to
"/home/roland/Maildir/spam5plus/tmp/1079599914.11949_0.rrl03"
procmail: Couldn't create or rename temp file
"/home/roland/Maildir/spam5plus/tmp/1079599914.11949_0.rrl03"

[...]

Could it be that this causes the whole 'process' to run as the user and
therefore no prevleges as such exist?
I wonder if there are differences in how procmail is implemented (i.e. compile-time options)? Personally, I always ran with DROPPRIVS=yes early on as a precaution. A quick test verifies that at least on debian testing/sarge, it seems to run with the receiving user's rights.

[...]
Am I back to delivering to a neutral place do you (and the list) think?
After experimenting a bit, I've settled on that approach:

       :0
       | cat - >> /var/tmp/spamstore

I found that I could symlink to that location from my IMAP folder directory, and as long a permissions are correct (I created an init script to make sure), it works fine. Not sure, but I'd expect maildir to work similarly.

Thanks for the pointers to date. Hope I have been clear enough.
Same here, all! This approach is far simpler, less error-prone, and no doubt faster than forwarding.

- Bob