Re: write to one file from numerous recipes

2004-08-03 05:39:17
Google Kreme <gkreme(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

OTOH, perhaps the filesystem in use prevents corruption in most cases?
 Is your system journaled?

Yes, linux ext3 on (Fedora Core 3 Test 1) But I'll add I used procmail
for several years on ext2 too which is not journaled.  Ext3 has only
been the default on redhat/fedora for couple years.

I haven't noticed any of the problems you mentioned but also, as you
mentioned, I don't read every message. In fact thousands go unread over
time since I get quite a high volume of spam.  My address unmunged has
been exposed on usenet for many years.

I'm curious why, if the locking need is as high as you indicate,
procmail doesn't do it by default.  Leaving an unlocked flag for
people who need it, instead of the other way round.