Re: write to one file from numerous recipes

2004-08-04 11:10:50
"David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> writes:

But I'm wondering, Harry, do you have some other setup that keeps two
procmails from running at the same time?  For example, are you fetching
mail one message at a time from an upstream host and then running
procmail on your own machine, and doing it in such a way that you don't
download the next message until procmail finishes with the current one?
 Then you wouldn't have two procmails running at once, and that's why
you've gotten away with using no local lockfiles.

You're still at risk from what your mail client might do if procmail
pulls a message in at the same time, but maybe you never read while
you're fetching (or never fetch while you're reading).

I don't think either of these apply to me.  But not sure about the
first.  I pull down mail with fetchmail from pop3 server, fetchmail
hands it off to sendmail which invokes procmail on it.  I'm not sure
if the setup waits or what.  Unless it is a default in the setup, I've
done nothing I know of to cause only one instatiation of procmail at a
time.

I do have the luxury of setting stuff up side wide with no concerns
since I'm the only user.

Procmail is my local mail delivery agent (I think).