Re: write to one file from numerous recipes

2004-08-04 12:48:01
Harry Putnam asked Michelle Konzack,

Are you saying you run with no locks on the recipes?  If so, that is
what I do too.  I'm only learning now that is not a good idea.

It's not a good idea for you, Harry, because you file your mail in mboxes. But it is a good idea for Michelle, because she files her mail in maildirs. The folders are directories rather than files, and each new message gets its own file inside the directory rather than being appended to a file.

One former member here was of the opinion that classic procmail directories and MH directories also need local lockfiles, and that only maildirs could do without them. I never understood that. It seems to me that none of those formats need local lockfiles.

You might still want a local lockfile on a recipe that runs formail -D, for example, even if you store your mail in maildirs. Essentially, any recipe that can modify a file that already exists or might already exist should have a lockfile, usually a local one.