Re: write to one file from numerous recipes

2004-08-03 06:46:26
Harry Putnam wrote:

I'm probably using the wrong term.  I mean the mbox files are only
written to by procmail.  But I guess that isn't right either since any
mail client can make changes in the mbox file.

A major reason unlocked mboxes get corrupted is that two procmail processes try to write to the same mbox at the same time. If you are using a global lockfile so that every procmail invocation has to spin in place until the one that has the global lockfile releases it, you don't need local lockfiles. That's almost always a bad idea, though, because then two concurrent procmail instantiations that will not end up modifying the same file can't just go do their jobs without waiting around.

But I'm wondering, Harry, do you have some other setup that keeps two procmails from running at the same time? For example, are you fetching mail one message at a time from an upstream host and then running procmail on your own machine, and doing it in such a way that you don't download the next message until procmail finishes with the current one? Then you wouldn't have two procmails running at once, and that's why you've gotten away with using no local lockfiles.

You're still at risk from what your mail client might do if procmail pulls a message in at the same time, but maybe you never read while you're fetching (or never fetch while you're reading).