Re: spamassassin in my procmailrc fills up mail.log

2004-10-29 17:24:19
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:40:48 +0200, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle(_at_)freenet(_dot_)de> wrote:
I get over my 178 E-Mail accounts (fetrchmail+procmail+spamassassin)
more then 3000 Messages per day which mean, spamd produce per day
around 2,6 MByte SPAM in my logfiles

And this is a problem why?  2.6MB on a log rotate that keeps 7 days
(the default for most systems I've seen) only adds up to about 18MB of
log space. total.

Much better to HAVE the logs and not need them then NEED the logs and
not have them, especially when 160GB drives can be had for $60.

However, to answer your question, the -s flag to spamd specifies where
spamd logs to.

spamd -s null

would discard all log info.  Just to be clear, just because you CAN do
this does not mean you SHOULD do this.  And if you DO do this, you
WILL get bitten when you find you NEED the log info, but it's gone.

This is exaplined in the man page for spamd:

      -s facility, --syslog=facility
           Specify the syslog facility to use (default: mail).  If "stderr" is
           specified, output will be written to stderr. (This is useful if
           you're running "spamd" under the "daemontools" package.) With a
           facility of "file", all output goes to spamd.log. facility is
           interpreted as a file name to log to if it contains any characters
           except a-z and 0-9. "null" disables logging completely (used inter-
           nally).

           Examples:
              spamd -s mail                 # use syslog, facility
mail (default)
              spamd -s ./mail               # log to file ./mail
              spamd -s stderr 2>/dev/null   # log to stderr, throw messages away
              spamd -s null                 # the same as above
              spamd -s file                 # log to file ./spamd.log
              spamd -s /var/log/spamd.log   # log to file /var/log/spamd.log

           If logging to a file is enabled and that log file is rotated, the
           spamd server must be restarted with a SIGHUP. (If the log file is
           just truncated, this is not needed but still recommended.)

--
 ::::::===   <http://2blog.kreme.com>  ===::::::
 :: Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for  ::