Re: spamassassin in my procmailrc fills up mail.log

2004-10-30 13:47:38
At 13:04 2004-10-30 -0600, Google Kreme wrote:
> Ehm, 2,6 MB/logfile = 7,8 MB/day = ~55 MB per week

It is putting 2.6MB into THREE logs?  That doesn't sound right, not
right at all.  Are you sure about that?  What is it writing to the
other logs?

The only place spamd should log, by default, is the maillog.  In fact,
grepping all log files for "spam" the only log file that ever mentions
spamd is maillog.

and even so, 55MB is still insignificant,

Heh, you have no idea just how insignificant 55MB is for an _entire_week_. A host sporting a few moderate listservs can churn at least half that on a regular basis EVERY DAY, and that's just for the system maillog - not other logs, and certainly not application-specific logs.

A site I admin for pretty routinely has about 40MB/day maillogs, and can spike at 100MB of logging easily enough. This is, JFTR, MTA-only logging, so SA crap.

> My Logpartition is already 1 GB
> which is enoght for normal use. spamd is not a normal-use.
>
> This log-SPAM must be stoped...

Gosh, this really is sounding like a matter for the SA list. You ARE aware that this isn't an SA support forum, right?

> Oh yes, I logrotate my logfiles 4 month.

You keep maillogs for 4 months?  then no, 1Gb is not enough room.

I perpetually archive *ALL* logs on ALL of my servers. Regular system backups are a standard cycle, but the logs themselves are archived separatley from (rather, in addition to) the backups. However, the logs are rotated and compressed on a weekly basis (having to run through multiple compressed archives is a bit of a pain when you frequently review logs for a variety of events), and every couple of months or so, they're archived off of the hosts entirely and purged. I find the approach to be quite effective for my needs, and at the same time, it doesn't consume an unacceptable amount of disk space.

$40 MIR (rebate), but I'm unsure.  www.dealnews.com is a good place to
check prices.  Of course, prices may not be as low in the EU.

Pricewatch is showing US$65 for 160GB EIDE, so close enough. i note that some sods (HTCnetstore.com in particular) are listing external FireWire ENCLOSURES with capacities -- even thought they're not selling an HD in them -- so that their products show up as the lowest price (and thus at the top of the results). Scum.

These of course are prices for consumer IDE hardware. Go with SCSI, and the price goes up appreciably. Still, for what I paid for a mere half gigabyte a few years back, I could - and I kid you not - easily buy a couple TERABYTES of disk storage today. It's even scarier how much an ST506 drive cost when they came out...