Re: spamassassin in my procmailrc fills up mail.log

2004-10-30 04:16:09
Am 2004-10-29 18:07:41, schrieb Google Kreme:
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:40:48 +0200, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle(_at_)freenet(_dot_)de> wrote:
I get over my 178 E-Mail accounts (fetrchmail+procmail+spamassassin)
more then 3000 Messages per day which mean, spamd produce per day
around 2,6 MByte SPAM in my logfiles

And this is a problem why?  2.6MB on a log rotate that keeps 7 days
(the default for most systems I've seen) only adds up to about 18MB of
log space. total.

Ehm, 2,6 MB/logfile = 7,8 MB/day = ~55 MB per week

This is inacceptabel because I leave Strasbourg from time to time for 1
to 3 month and have no control over it. My Logpartition is already 1 GB
which is enoght for normal use. spamd is not a normal-use.

This log-SPAM must be stoped...

Oh yes, I logrotate my logfiles 4 month.

Much better to HAVE the logs and not need them then NEED the logs and
not have them, especially when 160GB drives can be had for $60.

60 US$ ?
Please tell me where !
Curently I have saved around 3000 Euro ans for this price I will Buy
minimum 20 for my 3Ware 3w85xx and 3w75xx...

However, to answer your question, the -s flag to spamd specifies where
spamd logs to.

spamd -s null

Ah...

would discard all log info.  Just to be clear, just because you CAN do
this does not mean you SHOULD do this.  And if you DO do this, you
WILL get bitten when you find you NEED the log info, but it's gone.

This is exaplined in the man page for spamd:

           Examples:
              spamd -s mail                 # use syslog, facility
mail (default)
              spamd -s ./mail               # log to file ./mail
              spamd -s stderr 2>/dev/null   # log to stderr, throw messages
away
              spamd -s null                 # the same as above

This is what I have in my /etc/default/spamassassin and it does not work

              spamd -s file                 # log to file ./spamd.log
              spamd -s /var/log/spamd.log   # log to file /var/log/spamd.log

I will try this and add a logrotate entry
And yes, better to have logfiles...

           If logging to a file is enabled and that log file is rotated, the
           spamd server must be restarted with a SIGHUP. (If the log file is
           just truncated, this is not needed but still recommended.)

OK

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi