Base64spam eliminated!

2005-09-21 09:30:11
First of all, I want to thank Dallman Ross for providing me with a recipe
that checks for multiple panix addresses in the header. This is how many
spams that sneak through spamassassin can be caught, including the pe**y
st**ck crap that was driving me nuts. I hope he makes it broadly available.
It is a winner.

Even though I never figured out how to detect a base64 encoded email through
procmail, I did stumble across a solution that combines spamassassin and
procmail. I noticed that spamassassin correctly identified pe**y st**ck spam
as having passed a test for MIME_BASE64_TEXT but that was insufficient to
send it into /dev/null since it was aggregrated with other tests whose
combined result fell below the scoring threshold. Since MIME_BASE64_TEXT
appears exclusively in pe**y st**ck spam, I felt it was safe to throw out
anything with this in the header.

Thanks once again to Dallman and Gary and everybody else who helped me get a
handle on this.

My test:

:0 H
* ^*MIME_BASE64_TEXT
/users/lnp3/mail/base64

===

Dallman's test:

 SP = ' '
 TAB = '        '
 WS = $SP$TAB

 :0
 { H_TO = $MATCH }

 :0
 { H_CC = $MATCH }

 TOCC = $H_TO$H_CC

 :0:
 *    1 ^1  TOCC ?? @panix[.]com
 * $ -1 ^1  TOCC ?? $\LOGNAME(_at_)panix[(_dot_)]com
/users/lnp3/mail/multiple_users