Re: Bypass large files with filter

2006-01-30 14:26:11

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Robert McKenzie wrote:

Michelle,

The problem isn't small files, but the server specs are CPU - 2.4Ghz Intel
with 512meg..
small messages rip through my procmailrc's, it's big files that are the
problem.  Messages
of 2+ meg take hours to get through.  I've sorted it with the help of folks
here with the
following as the first rule /etc/procmailrc

:0
* > 500000
{ SWITCHRC }

        Talking about CPU, if you pass the message to the user
        the the user's procmailrc start scan the BIG message so
        you still have problem.  NM comment how to help the users.

        I guess that you check the size of the message more then
        one time (45000 lines, ok) so you can save a little bit
        cycles be setting the length in variable.

        In top of the file:

:0
* 1^1 > 1
{ SIZE = $= }

        Now, when you need to check the size of the message:

:0
*  -500000^0
*$ $SIZE^0
{ SWITCHRC }

        Ask the users to use this $SIZE instead of   >, <

        One more, instead of /dev/null use { HOST }.  I found
        that the time to drop a message in /dev/null is similar
        to the time to write in file.

        Btw. what is -big- message in your system?  In 1994 I set the
        limits in sendmail.cf to be 20Mb and nobody complains (yet)

Bye,
  Udi

Thanks for the help folks!!

Michelle Konzack wrote: