Re: Bypass large files with filter

2006-01-26 06:27:36
On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 01:35:24PM +0100, Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Mr Duck:

   At an absolute minimum, I would suggest running the header
of the large file attach through Dallman's vsnag.

I agree again. AFAIK vsnag doesn't have a 'header-only' mode.

Well, it can't, really, since it's looking for specific information
about attachments, and that information is generally only devinable
from the body.  Specifically, Content-Type, Content-Transfer-Encoding,
and Content-Disposition "pseudo-headers" in discrete MIME subparts
are what holds that extended information.

However, vsnag is very good about not bothering with messages
that have no promise of being worth looking further at.  I.e.,
it decides rapidly if a message potentially harbors an attachment,
and skips it[1] if it does not, without bothering with the body
at all.  And it's also very fast even with large messages.

[1] Fsvo "skip" that includes looking at the headers for some
phishing expeditions, etc., however.

dman