Re: Bypass large files with filter

2006-01-26 04:39:04
Sur 2006-01-25, Mr Duck skribis:

    :0
    * > 150000
    { SWITCHRC }    # go to user's .procmailrc, if existing,
                    # else deliver to $DEFAULT (?)

  I am a bit bothered by the idea that an email can get to the
end user w/o having checks done on it. Granted, most of the
viral/spam email are small(er), but that doesn't mean that
larger ones don't occur.  Just two days ago, our virus scanner
caught a 1M file attach which was an email worm.

   [ deleted ]

  At an absolute minimum, I would suggest running the header
of the large file attach through Dallman's vsnag.

Also, if a big message has not been thoroughly scanned, you might
want to add a "BIG" tag to the message's subject as a way to warn
your users that the message might be malicious. I have a recipe
that does this on my Procmail Quick Start in this section:

  <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#nestingBlock>

  You can also do other things to speed up the process (like
suggested earlier of reworking your /etc/procmailrc file to
not have so many lines) or perhaps using spamd.

And definitely put in some good SMTP-level filters, e.g.
greylisting.

Hope this helps,
  Nancy
   (sent via gmane.mail.procmail)

--
  Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com>
    IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more