what I called extraneous braces

2006-01-30 17:47:08
A few days ago I pointed out that someone's code for unsetting a
variable unconditionally,

  :0
  { varname }

was unnecessary, and that just

  varname

alone would do it.

Ah, the irony.  One site where I use procmail has this nasty syntax
checker that reviews the .procmailrc every time you edit it, and it
doesn't grok

  varname

as a way to unset a variable and rejects it as an error, making you
re-edit.  But it doesn't parse what's inside braces, so

  :0
  { varname }

goes under its radar.

Maybe I should just enclose my entire .procmailrc there in

and

  }

and get the syntax checker off my back permanently.

[It does tolerate

  varname=''
or
  varname=""

but I wasn't about to give into it.  And what if it really mattered to
have it unset and not just null?]