Re: Anti-Spam Tactic.....

2006-03-22 15:35:33
This is wandering a bit off-topic, but ...

On 3/22/06, Professional Software Engineering
<PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org> wrote:
<rant>
I am _still_ acting as a smart relay for a site in norway which I admin for
- all their verizon/gte/etc traffic routes through one of my mailhosts so
that it can reach our subscribers at those domains.

There is exactly one questionable anti-spam tactic that I *know*
Verizon employs.

When you connect to a Verizon MX on port 25 and issue MAIL
FROM:<foo(_at_)bar(_dot_)com>, Verizon doesn't answer until it first connects
back to the MX for bar.com, issues RCPT TO:<foo(_at_)bar(_dot_)com>, and gets
250
back.  If either it can't connect to the bar.com MX or the response is
5xx, Verizon's response to the MAIL FROM: is 451.

I don't know if there's any possibility that this is affecting your
Norwegian site.