Re: Anti-Spam Tactic..... (Verizon recto-cranial inversion)

2006-03-24 16:26:16
On Friday 24 March 2006 12:29, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 23:41 2006-03-23 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]
With an attitude like that, how is the poor vz customer, and I'm a vz
customer because they have a monopoly here, supposed to deal with it?

Vote with your feet.  Yea, that sounds harsh, and as a single
individual, you're unlikely to sway the boneheads at Verizon, but at
least YOU won't be making a financial contribution to their continued
boneheadedness.

Well, their tech support crew hears from me ANY time it gets in my face,
and eventually it gets fixed.  It took us 2 years to get all the mail
servers converted from open relay status.  Thats been fairly good now
for about a year, but it took months to get off the damned RBL lists
after they'd fixed them.  Their windows people, and still think to this
day that anybody running linux is an idiot.  And everytime they do
that, I remind them that of the 3 attacks I've logged here in 3 years,
2 of them came from THEIR compromised dns servers.  I kept the logs.
The first one trashed a router!  And sunday morning early, 70,000
zombies hit the tv station and trashed a linksys router converting it
into a zombie & spamcop listed us instantly.  But I have to give
linksys credit, they didn't get past the router itself.

I would be rather surprised if they were actually the only game in
town.  They might be the only CHEAP game in town (by merit of their
LEC status in your community), but there's something to be said for
using non-consumer network providers.  Static (and potentially
delegated) netblocks is a big plus.

They are in fact.  The cable folks aren't interested at less than $50 a
month and require a long term contract, and a rural satellite dish
lashup at not much faster than dialup runs nearly $1500 to install, and
$70 or so a month.  I get this for $30 a month if I sign up for a year
at a time, and I'm on SS so there is a limit to exactly how "first
class" I can afford to go.

FTR, the site in question is a large auto enthusiast site, which
periodically suffers a lot of administrative overhead due to a handful
of braindead ISPs.  If we quit jumping through hoops to deal with the
grief they cause, life would be MUCH easier for us.  Oh, I probably
didn't point out that none of the admins are compensated (despite the
site being commercial grade), so it isn't as if dealing with some
dumb ISP is just another task to deal with as part of an 8 or 12 hour
work shift...

Been there, done that, I'm a mostly retired TV CE.  For me at any rate,
it was considered part of the job description.  And occasionally, I had
to threaten FCC enforcement actions for blatently sick bird operations,
but only had to actually do it once in 22 years.

At 03:13 2006-03-24 -0700, Google Kreme shared, in part:
write letters (real paper snail mail letters) and send copies to your
local media outlets. Start www.verizonsuckdogballs.com

The last time we all got together, about 20% of the 7000 souls in this
county turned out to protest and the PSC gave them the rate hike (30
some percent) anyway.  So we feel like as long as there's a republican
running things, we're screwed.

Though, probably don't do so ON your Verizon broadband connection, or
you'll eventually find that traffic drops to 0 overnight once Verizon
discovers it.

They have port 80 blocked anyway, and will at some point start taking
exception to the torrent traffic, my up pipe is full right now with
FC5.

If I yell at them again, please give me an exact, they can check their
settings and confirm it, description of the problem.  I want to be well
armed.  Private mail is fine.  They are running all M$ softwares AFAIK.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: