Re: Halting delivery on program failure

2006-03-24 12:23:03
On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:42:53PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Jim C. Nasby <decibel(_at_)decibel(_dot_)org> [03-24-06 04:36]:
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 03:10:21PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Jim C. Nasby <decibel(_at_)decibel(_dot_)org> [03-23-06 10:32]:
Postfix allows you to set a limit on the size of a mailbox. By default,
this is ~50MB. The problem is that this limit is set by essentially
doing a ulimit. So if your procmail is set to log, and the logfile
exceeds this limit, things stop working properly. Certainly one issue I
was seeing was that spamassassin wasn't being run.

The problem can be solved by either bumping up the size of
mailbox_size_limit in your postfix config, or using a limit at all by
setting it to 0.

or directing procmail to put it's log in another directory...

Won't work. Postfix has to handle mailbox size via a ulimit, otherwise
they'd have no way to enforce it when using something like procmail.

???  Procmail's *log* file is just that, a log (text) file, not an email
and not delivered by email/postfix.  Why would postfix care where
procmail stores it's log file?  My procmail log is stored in a directory

Postfix doesn't care where the logfile is stored, and in fact it doesn't
matter (I'm not storing it anywhere close to any of my maildirs). The
problem is that the only way postfix can possible enforce a mailbox size
limit in light of things like procmail is by setting process limits when
it spawns these programs. These limits are completely indescriminant; if
you set a filesize limit of 50MB, that means that procmail absolutely
can not write 50.000001 MB to the log file. The problem is that procmail
doesn't detect this situation, and it handles it rather poorly.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                decibel(_at_)decibel(_dot_)org