Re: Comments on this way to use procmail with virtual domains

2007-06-02 10:41:50
At 16:05 2007-06-02 +0100, Alan Clifford wrote:

Sendmail also has aliases that will deliver to a program.  That is the
extent of my knowledge about it though.

Well, yea, sendmail can deliver to programs (that is how most mailing lists
are managed), addresses, files (useful for direct archiving of mail), and
lists (a file with a list of more addresses, files, or programs).  This is
the function of the aliases file.  But in Sendmail, the aliases are
domainless - an alias "bob" is bob at every one of the domains which might
be handled by that MTA configuration.  If you want bob at some other domain
to route to a different user or program, you have to set up a virtusertable
entry like:

         bob(_at_)somedomain(_dot_)tld      bobx

then have the bobx alias set up to do what you want for that user -- though
now, bobx is a valid userid at all the hosted domains (which is VERY
undesireable as dictionary spamfloods hammer that one user) -- unless you
have virtusertable entries for each valid userid, and a catchall like:

         @host.domain.tld   ERROR:nouser User unknown

such that unless there's an explicit bobx username at the virtual domain,
the alias will never be expanded.

Anyway, my point was, the syntax as provided certainly didn't appear to be
legitimate for Sendmail, and quite likely is legal only for the one MTA it
was in the context of (which I didn't recall seeing posted, but perhaps I
missed that).