Re: Comments on this way to use procmail with virtual domains

2007-06-02 02:14:50
On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 02:24:35 AM -0600, LuKreme (kremels(_at_)kreme(_dot_)com)
wrote:

On 2-Jun-2007, at 01:57, LuKreme wrote:
On 1-Jun-2007, at 05:17, Marco Fioretti wrote:
me(_at_)virtualdomain1(_dot_)net   : "|/absolute/path/to/procmail -m
/somedir/
me.virtualdomain1.net.procmailrc"
joe(_at_)virtualdomain2(_dot_)com  : "|/absolute/path/to/procmail -m
/somedir/
joe.virtualdomain2.com.procmailrc"
jane(_at_)virtualdomain1(_dot_)net : "|/absolute/path/to/procmail -m
/somedir/
jane.virtualdomain1.net.procmailrc"

OK, the more I think about this the more I want to try it out.  I
looked at the forum you linked to, but instructions for postfix
where not to be found. Have you found anyone that is actually doing
this with postfix

Not yet. Actually, I am already using procmail with PostFix virtual
users, but in the other way described below.

Wrt to _this_ approach, I've also asked on the postfix list, but they
reminded me one thing I had forgotten, that is that in PostFix you
can't do the above with virtual aliases... I remain very interested to
figure out how this can be done with PostFix running only virtual
domains, any comment is appreciated.

With postfix you can still define procmail as a virtual_transport and
pass to it the recipient address. Something *like*, conceptually:

procmail -a recipient(_at_)virtualdomain common_rc_file.rc

where common_rc_file.rc looks like:

#define common variables, base maildir, etc...

INCLUDERC=/somewhere/recipient.virtualdomain.procmailrc

But the solution above looked interesting too.

With respect to automation and maintenance, since Sean (IIRC) and
others mentioned concerns from this point of view: I agree that,
however one implements this kind of trick into a specific MTA, it is
not scalable, that is you can't probably manage it efficiently at an
ISP/large business scale.

But I am specifically interested in how to set up the most *flexible*
and featured email "solution":

* with the smallest possible number of FOSS packages which are
  available as official single binaries on almost all GNU/Linux or
  *BSD distros (not the case with maildrop on centos, for example)

* for _small_ groups of users: families, small companies, charities,
  all with <= 50 users anyway, which change very seldom

Any feedback remains very appreciated, especially if PostFix-specific,
on both solutions: the one with which I began this thread and the
other outlined above in this message.

TIA,
        Marco