Re: R: Square brackets in the subject (was R: Trouble with deleting a message with /dev/null)

2007-10-23 08:20:23
On 23-Oct-2007, at 02:31, Francesco Abeni wrote:
Lukreme wrote:
On 22-Oct-2007, at 01:43, Francesco Abeni wrote:
However, I *don't* stick strings in square brackets into my subject
lines, spamassassin or otherwise.

Uh? I'm not sure i understand this. Do you mean that it's not a
good thing to write a subject with square brackets? And why?

It's fugly?  It's completely unnecessary? It's altering a key part of
the message?  If the message is NOT spam and you reply, you have to
take the []'s out, or look like a doofus?

I see that on this list opinions are very strong... i honestly asked a
question because i never heard about problems with brackets, so
please don't
get angry :-)

I could get angry if you like.  That was simply me answering your
question.  You asked why, I gave you some reasons why.

AFAIK, modifying the header is a common practice in SpamAssassin

used to be.  There was a lot of wind and fury and now SA works
perfectly well without altering the message (NB: adding headers is
not considered 'altering', CHANGING headers is).

I know i could let SpamAssassin only add its headers, without
modifying the
existing ones, but it implies that the average user know what to do
with
them. And that's not always the case.

My server filters high scoring emails to a SPAM box.  Users are free
to check their SPAM box for false positives.

--
Use your key, unlock the door, see what fate might have in store.
Come explore your dreams and Creations, Enter the world of imagination.