Re: Emails delivered twice

2008-05-16 10:18:03
At 17:15 2008-05-16 +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:
The envelope-to that triggered the delivery for that particular recipient
is added only.  (Standard postfix functionality.)\

Ah, I saw "addresses" (plural) in Ruud's post.  So, you're saying that when
someone sends a message with say, a bunch of photos in to to several people
at the domain (let's say it's your family, because I'd hate to think
BUSINESS mail was being handled in this fashion), that when the fetchmail
process is run to retrieve mail from the remote POP3 system, EACH RECIPIENT
will have a separate copy of the large message to be
downloaded.  Ugh.  Anyone running their mail this way must surely be doing
it because they don't have a full time connection, and generally that means
they ALSO have restrictive bandwidth.

Fine if you're using this extra header for mail which is being routed on
your own system (as in, received by postfix vis SMTP on your own host, and
then you diddle with it locally), but that's just terribly inefficient for
a midpoint delivery.  Running SMTP up to your own host is the way to
go.  The ISP _could_ do gateway relaying - act as the external SMTP for
your host and turn around and relay it (via SMTP) to your own host which
would NEVER be accessed from the outside world, but that requires more
setup on the part of the ISP.