Re: EOF and future recipes - SOLVED

2010-06-07 10:23:15
At 15:34 2010-06-07 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
OK the computing power might be sufficient but it is using the power
CORRECTLY to achieve the desired result that is the problem.

So, it's not what you have, it's how you use it?

Basically I get the point, have a separate file.  No problem with that
but it was an idea that I hoped Procmail might have an EOF option.

The proffered "solution" is for a problem that doesn't exist. As much as you might happen to want it for how you're doing something right now, it's not the accepted practice. Besides, HOST= will accomplish what you're asking for, even if it isn't what it is intended for (just as the live .procmailrc isn't intended as a code development area).

If we're talking about changes to procmail, I'd much prefer that procmail have procedural capabilities or integral attachment/decoding support, but such things would require shifts in syntax.

In using my sandbox setup, which closely mimics my live .procmailrc settings, I have a framework in which I can easily compose and run individual recipes for testing. Those recipes are included into the sandbox via INCLUDERC=, so the recipes being tested are compartmentalized and the sandbox itself remains unchanged from test to test (so that it does not deteriorate after I've hacked together tests over a period of time). I can compose, test, tweak, retest, then, without a single change to the recipe itself - no retyping, no cut-n-paste, I can move the recipe file into my live procmail tree and modify the .procmailc (or a subsequently included file) and INCLUDERC that newly tested file.

In reality, I usually actually paste it into some other rcfile, but the point is that between test and live use, the very same file can be employed, which minimizes the opportunity for operator mistakes.