Re: TXT Records

2003-11-22 08:29:38
On Saturday 22 November 2003 3:08 am, Jasper Wallace wrote:
Personaly if we're going use more that one underlying protocol for SPF then
the non-dns protocol should be SMTP, as someone else proviously proposed

I don't recall the previous posting, so forgive me if am repeating stuff that
has been said before. Using SMTP _only_ (no DNS extras at all) was my first
thought on the issue of sender authentication.

I'm thinking that whatever daemon is running on port 25 of an MX is the
'official contact' for that domain's SMTP operations, and it makes sense to
ask it about who is permitted to send mail. Why not just create an ESMTP
extension for sender repudiation?

The simplest implementation would be a simple 'oracle'. If we were to call the
extension 'XSPF' (for now) and have the grammar:

'XSPF' <SP> (SENDER-HOSTNAME|SENDER_IP) <SP> DOMAIN <SP> LOCALPART

and reponse of the form:

250 <SP> ('ALLOW'|'DENY') <SP> 'FOR' <SP> TTL-VALUE <SP> 'SECONDS' [<SP> 'FOR
ALL']

Where the option 'FOR ALL' in the response means the response is valid for all
localparts in the domain. The rest should be obvious...

This approach has the benfit of:
1. Being extremely simple, hiding the complexity in the ESMTP server
implmentation rather than in the protocol itself.
2. It is easier to get an ESMTP extension registered (I think)
3. It is a postmaster-to-postmaster solution that does not require cooperation
with other administrative roles. It's the postmaster who is at the sharp end
of the spam problem after all.

The downsides:
4. ESMTP conversations use more bandwidth than DNS over UDP.
5. DNS already has a caching infratsructure that is tried and tested. The
requirements in this area for an XSPF oracle system requires some analysis.
6. Although open-source ESMTP servers could easy be patched to support this
and a rollout there could be pretty quick, many domains still use proprietary
mail servers. These are unlikely to adopt quickly and if packaged as a
feature upgrade with a price tag then things will be slower still.

- Dan

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.6.txt