Re: A heads-up on defaults

2003-12-16 03:34:08

Of the 205 domains in the SPF registry
( http://www.infinitepenguins.net/SPF/register.php )

38 parse cleanly
0 parse with warnings
150 parse with errors
17 are yet to be checked by the system

Seems many of us, probably previously unaware of your
registry, just added a bunch.  (I did at least ten of
mine, now that I have a good handle on SPF.)

Currently up to 291 total, 99 clean.

So, as I added 'aoeu.com', which I own, I wondered if
website signups might consider SPF as well.  Many many
many websites let you fill in your email address, some
are even smart enough to end you a confirmation/ack required
before actually adding you to their list.

I wonder if any would be interested in using SPF as well.
For example, all those random Dvorak keyboard users who
just fill in the forms with junk 'aoeuaoeu(_at_)aoeu(_dot_)com'
addresses aren't doing me or the actual website any good.
If the website were to use SPF, it'd be obvious that some
guy across the world shouldn't even be trying to use that
address.

Probably not good to actually restrict it this far, of
course.  The number of places I might surf from are far
larger than the places from which my email might originate.
You fall back into the 'list the entire ISP' situation,
or worse.

But it's an interesting thought.  Certainly would decrease
the number of opt confirmations that attempt to hit my
server, and probably that of asdf.com and other common
keyboard sequences.

--
Brian Hatch                  Kids in the back seat cause
   Systems and                accidents.  Accidents in

Every message PGP signed

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com