Re: which DNS does SPF record belong in + macro question

2004-01-21 22:49:32
In <MHEGIFHMACFNNIMMBACAGEJLHEAA(_dot_)nobody(_at_)spamcop(_dot_)net> "Seth
Goodman" <nobody(_at_)spamcop(_dot_)net> writes:

Interland's outgoing MX's are distinct from their web hosting clusters.  All
their MX's, incoming, outgoing and transfer, operate from the
registeredsite.com/14 netblock, not from anything related to the
Interland.com IP addresses.  A /14 netblock is so big that it is at best a
weak test for forgeries.

Several things in semi-random order.

First off, a /14 isn't really that large.  More importantly, if any
Interland.com customer starts forging your domain name, I would hope
that Interland.com would be willing to do something about it.

That said, it appears that Interland.com has more than a /14.  Doing a
"dig interland.com" shows that their name servers are on 64.226.28.33,
64.77.127.42, and 69.0.145.33, which is quite a spread.

The best tool that I know of to figure this stuff is to use
senderbase.org.  If anyone knows a better tool, please let me know!

For example, a search on interland.com shows quite a few IP addresses
that send email.  See:
http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchString=interland.com

This shows only one IP address that is sending email within the
interland.com domain name.  However, it does list the network operator
of INTERLAND.  Clicking on that link or typing that name into the
search box yeilds:
http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchBy=organization&searchString=INTERLAND

From there, it appears that you are correct, most of the email is
coming from the domain name of registerdsite.com.  More over, it looks
like you are pretty safe with using ptr:atl.registeredsite.com and/or
ip4:64.224.219.0/24

Anyway, this is how I've been tracking down this kind of thing.  If
anyone has other techniques for figuring out random domain's *OUTPUT*
SMTP servers, please let me know!

-wayne