Re: Is Return-Path as available as we think?

2004-01-26 13:40:00
----- Original Message -----
From: "wayne" <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com>
To: "SPF discussions" <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 9:01 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Is Return-Path as available as we think?

However, if the MTA does SPF checks, it should generate
a Received-SPF: header which will include the envelope-from.

That is an excellent point. Regardless of whether the native MTA exports the
envelope-from to the headers, the Received-SPF: header will ALWAYS contain
the envelope-from.

This whole discussion, btw, is not inherently different from, say, how to
extract the envelope-from when running procmail from a .forward file. And,
just like procmail, I believe SPF is therefore best run at MTA level; doing
a post-mortem extraction on headers to gain relevant information from the
SMTP exchange, such as envelope-from and recipients, has always been
questionable (and, in the case of the latter, downright untrustworthy). This
is a problem -- if you want to call it that -- intrinsic to the SMTP
protocol itself, as headers are part of the DATA phase, and may, or may not,
contain everything you want, or contain it in undistorted form.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,