Re: Is Return-Path as available as we think?

2004-01-26 13:01:26
In <855023508(_dot_)1075118192(_at_)[172(_dot_)23(_dot_)65(_dot_)45]> Greg
Connor <gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org> writes:

Interestingly, my sendmail/pop server shows "Return-Path:" (always at
the very top) but my Exchange server doesn't show Return-Path at all.
Perhaps Return-Path: is not consistent.  Sort of bad news for SPF if
it isn't.

Adding the Return-Path: header is not required and many MTAs don't do
it.  Some use Sender: instead, some many use things like
Envelope-From:.  I forget all the variations.

A good place to find the answer would be to check out the development
version of SpamAssassin and/or ask Justin Mason.

However, if the MTA does SPF checks, it should generate a
Received-SPF: header which will include the envelope-from.

-wayne

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage