RE: Extensibility and Accreditation

2004-01-22 07:50:57

Speaking of hardcoding, that's a pattern programmers are very familiar
with: when we program, we start out by hardcoding things for
convenience.  Later we move those things into configuration files and
eventually they may go on to the network.  Rather than
hardcoding all the
possible accreditation schemes, it would be more
forward-looking to put
extensibility in at the start.  Look at the trouble with DNS
RRs today.

hardcorded would be unacceptable to many players, including ourselves. A
hardcoded list would mean that to sell accreditation services you have to be
in the hardcoded list.

That is not good if you want to offer a range of services. The accreditation
we can offer (and sell) today is not the best possible we can offer in a
mature market where people realize the value of stronger programs.

Moreover our principal business is not running the VeriSign CA system, it is
providing support for other enterprises managing their own CAs. I want to be
in a position to sell infrastructure services to a whole range of
accreditation services providing a value add on top of the basic services we
provide.

What is needed is a way for the sernder to state which accreditation
services they are accredited by. Then the filtering software will eventually
converge on appropriate weights for that accreditation through the usual
feedback mechanism.

                Phill