Re: Extensibility and Accreditation

2004-01-22 13:24:02
On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:32:45PM -0600, wayne wrote:

| > Authentication says the mail is really from you.
|
| Yes, although SPF doesn't authenticate anything.  It says whether a
| given IP address is *authorized* to send email claiming to be from a
| given domain.  This is a pretty black or white determination.

Yes, the IP address is authorized.  If the domain authorizes the IP
address, then the mail is authenticated for the purposes of sender
authentication.

| > Accreditation says you're worth getting mail from.
|
| Accreditation and reputation are both going to be value judgements
| that are much less likely to be used as a black or white
| detemination.  This makes accredidation something very different than
| what SPF is currently designed for.

Accreditation tries to provide facts.
Reputation systems make the value judgement.

SPF is designed for sender authentication, but it's such a convenient
place to put other attributes about the sender.  I like the accredit=
modifier because it lets you do exactly that.