Re: SPF advocacy

2004-01-25 11:17:21
In <20040125155917(_dot_)GC7601(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> Meng Weng
Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:55:11AM +0000, Wechsler wrote:

| We *all* need to start pushing SPF hard, now; this probably means we
| need press releases for the mainstream media, as well as grass-roots
| advocacy.

I'm really not sure that pushing SPF hard now is a good idea.  We
aren't ready.  We won't be ready for a matter of weeks or even
months.  We need to get code out and tested.  Too much stuff is
influx.  We already are getting flak about overhyping SPF, and I think
trying too hard will just cause problems.

I emailed LaMont Jones, maintainer of the Debian Postfix package.  He
said he'd prefer not to depart from the source distribution.

Dude, look at the sizes of the debian patches he maintains for postfix
right now:

-rw-r--r--    1 wayne    develop    346765 Jan 23 18:13 postfix_2.0.18-1.diff.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 wayne    develop   1353649 Jan 23 18:13
postfix_2.0.18.orig.tar.gz

I bet what he is really saying is "I don't think SPF is ready to be
put into a distribution right now, and I'm not convinced it is a good
idea anyway."

Getting SPF into the source distribution of all four MTAs will help a
huge amount, and that's something I'd like to see done in the coming
week.  Who's connected to the MTA communities?

I think we need to maintain our own patches for the MTAs for a while.
Once we can show that the patches are stable and useful, the attitudes
of the MTA developers will change.

-wayne