Re: SPF advocacy

2004-01-25 13:11:12
On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:59:17AM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

I emailed Wietse Venema, author of Postfix.  He said, basically, that he
didn't like SPF because it breaks forwarding, that "those who attempt to
reinvent SMTP are doomed to do it poorly", and "I am not an SPF
developer and have no plans to become one."

Wietse's cooperation is not needed, as long as he's providing the
policy daemon hooks.  A separate program can check the SPF records
and announce its findings to postfix.

Another much desired feature is the inclusion of an extra header.
IIRC Wietse has no objection to this.

These two items are something not SPF-specific; IMHO this is good
for both postfix and for SPF.

So the old guard don't even think there's anything wrong with SMTP ---
spam is just a social problem.  So is breaking and entering, but that
doesn't stop people from locking their doors.

I think they've said something different: At least Wietse has said
he thinks SPF creates more problems than that it solves.  Time will
prove if he's right or not.

How can convince people that SPF is the lesser of two evils?

By demonstrating its power without doing harm.

Plugins or so for popular MTAs _and_ popular MUAs. Nothing destructive
happens, mail could for instance be attached to an email informing the
user about a policy mismatch.

A good amount of email will come unchanged.  A good amount of forgery
will come as an attachment.  Some false positives and some false
negatives will occur.  If the amount of false positives is low enough,
the user will ask the provider to block in stead of tag.

I think this means I'm talking about spamassassin.

cheers,
Alex
--
begin  sig