Re: Re: "extreme SPF" scenario for ISPs

2004-02-05 07:02:13

On 3 Feb 2004 at 17:06, Jan Wildeboer wrote:

Gustav Foseid wrote:

I _must_ be able to send e-mail with my company address when at home,
without having to use VPN. I can hardly imagine that I am alone.

My company offers domain-hosting. All domains get their
smtp.mydomain.tld and pop.mydomain.tld to use. If ISPs would block port
25 it would effectively mean that customers of those ISP cannot use our
smtprelays anymore.

Not true, you would send to the smarthost using a MSA port with
authenication. It's simple.

So far no one has come up with any reason that you must send on port 25
if your not running a mail server.

The real point here is that the direct to MX spammers have to be
stopped and we are not going to stop them if we let MUA to send on port
25 when there is a RFC that states the use of port 587 with
authenication.

That would be a ridiculous situation.

Many customers try to send their legitimate mail via direct SMTP, are
confronted with many servers blocking dial-up IP-addresses and ask what
to do. Our advice: use our smtp-relay, it is part of your contract with
us. Customer = happy.

Now if customer must use smtp-relay from ISP it will mean that we must
add all of those to our SPF entry. Ridiculous.

An ISP blocking port 25 is giving me a censored TCP/IP connection. If
SPF is supposed to fly, blocking of Port 25 will be a severe
disadvantage IMHO.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Jan Wildeboer

--

|               |      d o m a i n ) f a c t o r y       |
| Jan Wildeboer | * Premium Hosting -  Premium Service * |

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦ç?2b¥yÈbox(_dot_)com

John Warren
| Any and all use of my email address for bulk email without my      |
| expressed permission is prohibited. This means NO JUNK EMAIL, SPAM.|
| Support the anti-Spam amendment, Join at http://www.cauce.org/     |